Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Breaks, Oysters and Chores, Oh My!

I'm right in the middle of my three days off from work. Of course as you can imagine, this is a good place to be. The world is my oyster. I really don't understand why I just used that phrase. I have never had an oyster, and am rather hesitant at the thought of slipping something slimy down my throat. I also don't understand how this is tasty, if it isn't chewed. Or as we say in the medical world, masticated and then swallowed. I guess I will have to try one before I comment any further on oysters and their general contribution to the day's unlimited possibilities.

Right now, even though it is beginning to 'warm up' outside (52 degrees), I feel chilled so I pulled out our little space heater. Predictably, our lab padded over to it and plopped down right in front, blocking the heat. We are puzzled as to why she can stand it. After all, she's wearing a coat of fur, for goodness sake. She's an unusual dog, for sure. I guess it is comforting to her. So much for me warming up.

Meanwhile, back to my exciting plans for today. First, I will work on my skills as a part-time fixture on my couch. I will surf the net, check into facebook for awhile, read my email, as well my work's email. That last activity seems crazy. I'm supposed to be spending my time not thinking about that place. But I check in once a day anyway. Looking for announcements about this or that patient being sent out to the hospital. If it is one of mine, I am immediately concerned, wondering what changed since I last cared for them. The emails never reveal why they have gone out. So I have to wait until I work again to get the details.

Today, I will also have to drag my sorry tush out to shop for groceries. A chore that doesn't exactly thrill me, but is better than work. At least I am my own boss. If I want to go to produce before the cereal aisle, I will not be reprimanded for going against protocol. If I want to stop and pour myself a free itty-bitty cup of coffee and spend the next 20 minutes drooling at the dessert counter, I can. On my own clock. Wow. Now there's an oyster!


When I arrive home with my bags of stuff, Daisy will be jumping up and down with pure joy, knowing this signals her play time. I will let her out, throw the ball a few times, bring in a bag or two of groceries while she waits, panting with excitement. This activity will continue until the car is unloaded. Then our well-behaved dog will lay in the grass, hovering protectively over her treasured ball, waiting patiently for my return. Meanwhile, I will be in the kitchen tossing groceries away, resisting the temptation to tear into that bag of chips.


Lastly I will have to face the cold, ugly truth. I need to figure out what to make for dinner. As I may have mentioned in a previous blog, it is a task I despise. Unfortunately, it is my day off so I have no excuse as to why I can't whip up a hearty meal for my family. It's just that I'd rather not put forth the effort. Last night we ordered pizza. I was thrilled. Today I must cook. What a difficult life. I'm such a whiner. But I just don't wanna.

Just the work of thinking about all of this makes me sleepy. So I think I will nap first.

Must be well rested before tackling the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment