Monday, April 23, 2012

The Weekend from Hell

I never thought I'd say this, but I am so happy the weekend is over.

My Friday-Sunday shift was one of the most difficult, frustrating, emotionally and physically draining experiences I have had since I began my nursing career.

And that was just the drive into work.

But seriously, (as if I ever am), it was enormously rough and I am so glad to have it all behind me. Friday night was bad beyond description. So much so that I had to censor it from this blog. (Drat, that would have been the most interesting part.) Well, if Friday was wretched, then Saturday was a close, disastrous second. Last night was tame by comparison, but by then I felt as though I had been run over by a semi. Run over, backed over and flattened.

It is days like these that prompt me to wonder why, in the name of all that is sacred and good did I decide to become a nurse. And then the bad memories begin to fade away and I remember.


It is the patients. I love taking care of the patients.

One day soon I hope I will learn how to deal with all of the stress, staff pettiness/squabbling, etc.
After all, do I really think this kind of crap is unique to just my job?

Now I will spend the next two glorious days decompressing. Then wake up on Wednesday and start all over again.

I guess it could have been worse. It could have been a weekend without coffee. Oh the horrors! I think I'll go pour a fresh cup right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment