Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscar Night - Sister's Night

Yesterday I spent the afternoon and evening with all of my sisters for our annual Oscar Night Celebration. My oldest sister hosts this annual party, which consists of a movie out (always one of the Best Picture nominees), a great leisurely lunch, followed by a trek back to her home for more celebrating before the Big Show. By celebrating, I mean snacking, more snacking and partaking in various beverages, in varying degrees of softness.

Actually, we were missing one sister; she lives out of state and can't make the trek up for this annual fun fest, so there were only the four of us plus my sister's grown daughter. She made a phone call and was sad to be missing out on all of the fun and festivity.

This year's movie selection was The King's Speech, which everyone agreed was an excellent story. Taking place pre-World War II in Great Britain, it is the story of the Prince of York and his life-long struggle with a speech impediment. I had seen this movie a week ago, and was happy to watch it again. The acting was excellent, the musical score very beautiful.

Part of the fun of the night is filling out our Oscar Ballot. We each throw five dollars into the pot, and make our selections for each category of the Academy Awards. It adds to the excitement, and also serves the very useful purpose of keeping some of us older sisters awake during the later parts of the show. I didn't win the big pot, but won several categories, which for the most part was just a crap-shoot for me, as I had seen none of the nominated films. None of that really mattered; it was so much fun to catch up with my sisters, to laugh and be silly with them, and all of that other wonderful sibling stuff.

We made the party a sleep-over, which was a lot of fun. The morning was very nice, too because my sister loves her coffee strong, and I love her for that! She also became my hero when I was getting ready to leave and couldn't find my keys. Turns out I had dropped them "plop" into the snow the day before and that is where they stayed all night. So in my eyes, anyone who can find my keys and brew a mean cup of coffee is a great person. Add to the fact that she is your sister and you've got yourself quite a package!

So to sum up my experience yesterday, I may not have won the Oscar jackpot, but in the "sister's" lottery of life, I am a big winner.

The best part is, I won't be delivering a long, boring acceptance speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment